Re: [opensuse-factory] 11.5 vs. 12.0
  • From: Larry Stotler <larrystotler@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 15:44:07 -0500
On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 3:25 PM, Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Don't get me wrong, I'm not arguing that faster boot is not good, I'm
just trying to say that from an openSUSE end-user perspective, it's low
impact.

Correct. Most people are still used to turning on their PC and
getting a cup of coffee when they get to work. It really hasn't
changed that much in 15 years or so.

I would look at the frequency of kernel updates to determine how often
they are needed if you are looking at it from that perspective. I
haven't updated my kernel on my desktop or laptop since 11.0 went EOL.
Haven't had any notable issues.

2.6.25.20-0.7-default

An unpatched Linux system is still generally more secure than a
patched Windows system anyway.