Re: [opensuse-factory] 11.5 vs. 12.0
  • From: Kay Sievers <kay.sievers@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 17:20:38 +0100
On Fri, 2011-03-11 at 11:33 +0100, Andreas Jaeger wrote:
On Monday, March 07, 2011 07:37:02 PM Kim Leyendecker wrote:

I think everybody jumped on your 11.5/12.0 discussion but you raised
another question that got lost:

What´s the technology way we want do for the 11.4 successor?

So, are there any great ideas that people want to do?

That's what I *want*, not necessarily what I want to *do*. :)

use systemd instead of sysv

use plymouth instead of slash

use dracut instead of mkinitrd

kill the 8 seconds grub timeout

get rid of /dev/disk/by-id/ in fstab and use /dev/disk/by-uuid/

do not install hundreds of -32bit packages on a 64bit-only box :)

make sysconfig network optional and run services like networkmanager
from upstream shipped systemd service files, instead of weird config
options in /etc/sysconfig/. All that stuff should stay for servers, but
it should be optional and not be the default.

make rsyslog the default syslog, without any weird /etc/sysconfig/
configuration. it should be started by a single rsyslog service file
shipped from upstream. All that stuff should stay for servers, but it
should be optional and not be the default.

make gdm/kdm be started from systemd, and get rid of the mindless
sysconfig stuff that multiplexes all the things. /etc/init.d/xdm should
not be the default

get rid of all the unneeded entries for virtual filesystems
in /etc/fstab, especially the deprecated and unsupported usbfs.

do not allow the installer to split the rootfs from /usr :)

do not install any local mail servers by default

Kay