Re: [opensuse-factory] Does YaST accidentally overwrite files?
Thomas Goettlicher write:
On Wednesday, February 16, 2011 05:33:44 pm jdd wrote:
Le 16/02/2011 17:07, Thomas Goettlicher a écrit :
We want to get rid of the myth that YaST accidentally overwrites files.

it was probably very rare anyway :-). I remember YaST stores a file
md5sum somewhere.

That said, what is the prefered action? backup the old file or write
some sort of file.ext.yast prefered example?
It depends. If YaST can parse the whole configuration file it should only
change the affected values and leave the other values untouched. If that
isn't
possible I think YaST should warn the user that not all manually edited
config
options can be preserved.

for example what is yast doing with /boot/grub/menu.lst?
For this file it add lines like:
###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: linux###

It is really good reason to have such line. Main purpose is to store
identification done during installation like detect windows on different
partition and remember it. Nowadays main purpose is to recognize normal and
failsafe boot section, because it differs just via kernel append ( and it is
hard to guess it) and failsafe is kernel which should not be default one, so
when you remove your boot kernel I use it to choose good kernel to be used
during boot.

To compare ubuntu had ( for legacy grub) a lot more info in comments -
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GrubHowto

Josef

thanks
jdd
NB: this situation should be reported on the yast page of the wiki,
with the bugzilla action needed. It's very nice to have somebody
identified try solve any such question :-)

--
Josef Reidinger
Appliance Toolkit team