Re: [opensuse-factory] Is the upgrade from 32 bits to 64 bit supported? Question for devs O:-)
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2010 13:26:05 +0200 (CEST)

On Monday, 2010-02-15 at 21:48 +0100, Carlos E. R. wrote:

On Monday, 2010-02-15 at 16:21 +0100, Gerald Pfeifer wrote:

On Mon, 8 Feb 2010, Carlos E. R. wrote:
After all, zypper live upgrade has been possible for a long time, but not
officially suported. However, bugzillas on it were accepted. I wrote some!
Couldn't the same be the case for the 32->64 process? It will become more
interesting in the future.

I think that is a fair request. No guarantee that issues popping up
will be fixed (or can with reasonable effort, think database formats),
but having a look as opposed to an automated WONTFIX appears reasonable.

Yes, that's it.

With the current state, I might try, but I would not bother to report
anything; it takes many hours, even days, to prepare and do the trial, but
any report would be ignored... why bother? :-(

If you or someone else is giving it a try can summarize on the Wiki,
that would be nice.

I have been told by several people that they succeeded. But I have no idea
where in the wiki it would be appropiate.

Just to mention that I succeeding upgrading 11.0 32 bits to 11.2 64 bits.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.
(from 11.2 x86_64 "Emerald" at Telcontar)