Re: [opensuse-factory] samba-client on livecd
  • From: Lars Müller <lmuelle@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 May 2010 00:10:08 +0200
On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 11:00:37PM +0200, Vincent Untz wrote:

I'm not familiar enough with samba to know; but is there any reason we
have samba-client installed on the livecd?

We need the net binary (8 MB) to join a Microsoft (MS) domain.

Also the way we link the same object into independent binaries might
cause this. To really be sure on this we need some more investigation
again.

IIRC Ludwig filed a bug regarding this in the past and we've not found
an elegant way or the time and patience to address this. Here a
discussion with the tool chain team might help us.

The more recently added ldb tools demonstrate we're able to handle this
better now.

A different way would be to spot more detailed which bianries are needed
in a live and install system and to split pieces into a package name
named samba-base for example. This task is mainly limited by the
available time. We're open to suggestions and helping hands.

In GNOME, for example, I'd
expect that people would use nautilus (which will use libsmbclient), and
not the command line tools.

To access a file share this is enough.

But try to print to a destination which only accepts jobs via the smb
protocol and you need smbspool (3.5 MB) which is part of the client
package too.

Lars
--
Lars Müller [ˈlaː(r)z ˈmʏlɐ]