Re: [opensuse-factory] opensuse 11.3 (m6) and mobile compatibility
  • From: Marcel Hilzinger <mhilzinger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 20:29:29 +0200
Am Mittwoch, 19. Mai 2010 17:21:24 schrieb Greg KH:
On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 10:46:20AM +0200, Marcel Hilzinger wrote:
I wonder how Moblin/MeeGo is dealing with this question? Do they use
usb-modeswitch or do they have an own solution? I just can't imagine,
that MeeGo-Developers also say:

"oh, it's crap, we won't use it"

To tell the user to call eject /dev/sr0 in a terminal is really not a
solution, not even a workaround...

usb-modeswitch does more than just call 'eject' for some devices. It's
the only way that a number of them can properly work.

As for MeeGo usage, I don't see how that is an openSUSE issue, could you
explain the comparison please?

I just imagined, which distribution (after Ubuntu) could be most interested in
having proper support for these kind of USB-Devices, and I guess something
like meego, which is planned at mobile devices should have a real interest in
supporting usb-modeswitch.

So I wondered, how do they support UMTS-Sticks and why can OpenSuse not take
the same approach. I _fully_ can understand, that seife has no time and is
not interested in maintaining usb-modeswitch in his sparetime, but think that
support for UMTS devices is a must have for a modern distro an should not
depend on some developers spare time but be done via paid developer at
Novell.

The whole discussion is more a problem of deciding what is important for
beeing in OpenSUSE 11.3 and for which tasks do we have paid developers and
for which one has OpenSuse to relay on the community fully. I just couldn't
understand, how easy it is to drop a real feature.

I mean: what would happen, if the maintainer of growisofs would do the same
and drop the package without having a replacement? Would we have an OpenSuse
11.3 without a DVD burning tool? I guess many more OpenSUSE users have the
same feeling, that this is not a real longterm solution.

I'm not involved enough in the OpenSUSE project to really help or to even give
advices, but I think some packages concerned as critical by Novell _and_ the
OpenSUSE community should be maintained by paid developers in any case.

Best regards,
Marcel

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Marcel Hilzinger

Linux New Media AG, Putzbrunner Str. 71, 81739 München, Germany
Tel: +49 89 99 34 110, Fax: +49 89 99 34 1199
mhilzinger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx - http://www.linuxnewmedia.de
Linux New Media, the Pulse of Open Source: Lawrence, KS - Málaga
Manchester - München - São Paulo - Warszawa