Re: [opensuse-factory] Factory install report
  • From: "Bernhard M. Wiedemann" <susefactory@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 16:29:04 +0200
On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 02:39:21PM +0200, Stephan Kulow wrote:
Am Sonntag 16 Mai 2010 schrieb Bernhard M. Wiedemann:

Then I saw this morning "YaST was unable to find the correct control file.
We are using a fallback one. This should not happen and is worth reporting
a bug." Even when I used download.opensuse.org as source.
http://www3.zq1.de/bernhard/mirror/opensuse/video/openSUSE-NET-i586-Build0
607b.ogv
http://www3.zq1.de/bernhard/mirror/opensuse/video/openSUSE-NET-i586-Build0
607c.ogv
http://www3.zq1.de/bernhard/mirror/opensuse/video/openSUSE-NET-x86_64-Buil
d0607b.ogv This is probably just temporary.

Using a direct mirror (gwdg) is not a good idea as there is no guarentee that
the meta data you get fits to the rpms. On download.o.o we take care of that,
but the mirrors sync as they get the data.

Greetings, Stephan

This is why I _did_ try download.o.o to find that it was broken there, too.
See second link from above:
http://www3.zq1.de/opensuse/video/openSUSE-NET-i586-Build0607c.ogv
It is back working, now, though.

The direct mirror is mostly to make my caching proxy more effective... but this
would not be necessary, if download.o.o redirected to the same (closest) mirror
most of the time.
However, this appears not to be the case with >5 different mirror hostnames
showing up in my squid log.
While this is a good thing to spread load for the general public, it has
disadvantages in my (caching) case.

--
Bernhard M. Wiedemann
software engineer