Re: SOLVED: Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: [opensuse-kernel] ZTE MF626 on openSUSE 11.3 Milestone 6
  • From: Stefan Seyfried <stefan.seyfried@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 20:59:49 +0200
On Tue, 11 May 2010 19:46:51 +0200
Marcel Hilzinger <mhilzinger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Am Montag, 10. Mai 2010 17:31:27 schrieb Stefan Seyfried:
The
last time I had looked at this fine piece of software engineering, I was
not willing to have this run as root on my machines. That's also why I
did refuse to maintain it for openSUSE and drop it.

Please consider: Dropping usb_modeswitch means: openSUSE has no Support for
approx 80 % of all _current_ hardware for UMTS/3G-Connection.

I don't have the hardware anymore and I have not much interest in stuff
that I don't personally use.
(Well, if it was an interesting problem, it might happen that I'd be
interested in it, but maintaining usb_modeswitch is about the most boring
stuff one can do. So it's not for me :)

For usb_modeswitch, it's not only boring, but looking at the code was
really not funny. To say it politely. (maybe that changed since I looked)
So it's not something I'd do vouluntarily in my spare time.

It seems a bad idea to me and even worse for openSUSE.

Then go ahead and maintain it. That's a community distribution. Everyone
can help.
--
Stefan Seyfried

"Any ideas, John?"