Re: [opensuse-factory] RFC: to upstart or not
  • From: Guido Berhoerster <guido+opensuse.org@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 11:47:57 +0200
* Stephan Kulow <coolo@xxxxxxxxxx> [2010-05-10 10:24]:
It works, and it only sometimes shows problems - that I have
no time to debug as debugging it involves rebooting and it's
about impossible to debug other people's machines reboot remotely.

Additionally to that, upstart takes more memory than sysvinit's
init and it makes it harder for people to adminstrate 11.3 and older
systems in parallel. If upstart was the obvious future, I wouldn't
care too much - but systemd[1] at least opens doubts that this will be
the case.

So I would to reduce the feature to "provide upstart" and set it to done
and change the patterns back to sysvinit. Oppinions? If someone really wants
upstart badly, he has to provide a patch as a reply to comment#38 in the
feature though ;)

I don't see any benefit from using upstart.
Before Redhat's launchd clone appeared the reasoning was along
the lines that upstart was what everyone else was using. Currently
openSUSE doesn't take adavntage of its event-driven model
(and besides, at least when Ubuntu switched to using it during
their 9.10 release they had some reliability problems with it).
Rather it introduces a potential source of bugs while sysvinit
has been stable, seems to work well and uses less resources.
So reverting back to sysvinit and looking what happens seems like
a sensible coice, no need to fix it if it's not broken.
--
Guido Berhoerster