Re: [opensuse-factory] Keeping nouveau installed like nv and support the installation of Nvidia proprietary drivers
  • From: Roman Bysh <rbtc1@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 07 May 2010 10:36:59 -0400
On 05/06/2010 01:27 PM, Tejas Guruswamy wrote:
On 06/05/10 18:16, Daniele wrote:

Il giovedì 06 maggio 2010, Stefan Dirsch scrisse:
Hi,

Right now, we have an extra step to install the Nvidia drivers in
Milestone 6, including the removal of 'nouveau'.

Why extra step? Simply install the nvidia drivers and you're done.
The priority for driver load in the Xserver is nvidia --> nouveau
--> nv on NVIDIA hardware.

Are you sure ?
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2153575&postcount=5
Does not apply to openSUSE ?!
Bye.

It is possible to disable something without completely removing it ...
for kernel modules for example that's what the blacklist modprobe.d file
is for ...

Regards,
Tejas

Although blacklist is required, I read that modeset must also be set to
zero.

To blacklist:

echo "blacklist nouveau" >> /etc/modprobe.d/50-blacklist.conf

Add to kernel command in grub:

nouveau.modeset=0

That's two more steps.

This kinda defeats the purpose of the 1 click install when an Nvidia rpm
is available.

Cheers!

Roman