Re: [opensuse-factory] Keeping nouveau installed like nv and support the installation of Nvidia proprietary drivers
  • From: Roman Bysh <rbtc1@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 06 May 2010 13:53:03 -0400
On 05/06/2010 12:43 PM, Tejas Guruswamy wrote:
On 06/05/10 17:34, Roman Bysh wrote:

In the near future, will we be able to keep 'nouveau' installed as we
did with 'nv'. And, be able to install the drivers provided by Nvidia
but without the errors during their installation?
And, change the switch2nv script to be switch 2 nouveau?

Right now, we have an extra step to install the Nvidia drivers in
Milestone 6, including the removal of 'nouveau'.

Is this doable?

Sorry, this may be a silly question, but I don't have the hardware atm
to test ...

Why is this not possible at the moment? Surely the complete removal of
nouveau is not necessary to install nvidia, but simply blacklisting?

IIRC xorg prefers nvidia over nouveau over nv. So if everything is
installed, nvidia is used ... at least it should be.

Regards,
Tejas

I am wondering if adding rdblacklist=nouveau to the kernel command
line applies to only Fedora or can I use it with openSUSE 11.3? And,
would it be better than blacklisting nouveau?

--
Cheers!

Roman