Re: [opensuse-factory] Keeping nouveau installed like nv and support the installation of Nvidia proprietary drivers
  • From: Stefan Dirsch <sndirsch@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 May 2010 18:46:23 +0200
On Thu, May 06, 2010 at 12:34:43PM -0400, Roman Bysh wrote:
In the near future, will we be able to keep 'nouveau' installed as we
did with 'nv'.

Sure.

And, be able to install the drivers provided by Nvidia
but without the errors during their installation?

Which errors?

And, change the switch2nv script to be switch 2 nouveau?

The script is dead with the dead of xorg.conf.

Right now, we have an extra step to install the Nvidia drivers in
Milestone 6, including the removal of 'nouveau'.

Why extra step? Simply install the nvidia drivers and you're done. The
priority for driver load in the Xserver is nvidia --> nouveau --> nv on NVIDIA
hardware.

Stefan

Public Key available
Stefan Dirsch (Res. & Dev.) SUSE LINUX Products GmbH
Tel: 0911-740 53 0 Maxfeldstraße 5
FAX: 0911-740 53 479 D-90409 Nürnberg
http://www.suse.de Germany