Re: [opensuse-factory] Status M6
  • From: Stefan Seyfried <stefan.seyfried@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2010 11:54:56 +0200
On Fri, 30 Apr 2010 11:45:54 +0200
Stefan Dirsch <sndirsch@xxxxxxx> wrote:

On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 11:18:00AM +0200, Raymond Wooninck wrote:

Would it be possible to build the Xserver and intel drivers from 11.2 and
then
to use the 2.6.34 kernel with the i915.modeset=0 ?

Don't believe that the 11.2 driver works much better. It doesn't. Some of
my reported bugs originated on 11.2, were closed as "hopefully fixed in
11.3", only to get reopened after the reboot into FACTORY. ;)

You want to dowgrade the complete X stack? Feel free to try.

As far as I understood with the fbdev driver, desktop effects (Kwin, Compiz,
etc) are not possible. For a lot of people this could mean that 11.3 is not
for them. I don't think that we should offer owners of an intel graphic
card a crippled desktop.

Maybe there are also users, for whom the driver works? Of course you won't see
any feedback by them, since they are just happy. So everybody thinks the
driver is complete crap.

Yes, I should have probably used less harsh wording at the beginning of
this subthread. Sorry for that.

ciao,

seife
--