Re: [opensuse-factory] Status M6
  • From: Stefan Dirsch <sndirsch@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2010 11:45:54 +0200
On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 11:18:00AM +0200, Raymond Wooninck wrote:
On Friday 30 April 2010 02:26:27 Stefan Dirsch wrote:
So, AIUI the new Intel KMS driver is very badly behaving, but you can
disable it and use the old framebuffer driver.

Sure, that possible. BTW, we've patched the intel driver. So if KMS is
disabled on an intel machine, X silently falls back to fbdev.

Would it be possible to build the Xserver and intel drivers from 11.2 and
then
to use the 2.6.34 kernel with the i915.modeset=0 ?

You want to dowgrade the complete X stack? Feel free to try.

As far as I understood with the fbdev driver, desktop effects (Kwin, Compiz,
etc) are not possible. For a lot of people this could mean that 11.3 is not
for them. I don't think that we should offer owners of an intel graphic
card a crippled desktop.

Maybe there are also users, for whom the driver works? Of course you won't see
any feedback by them, since they are just happy. So everybody thinks the
driver is complete crap.

Best regards,
Stefan

Public Key available
Stefan Dirsch (Res. & Dev.) SUSE LINUX Products GmbH
Tel: 0911-740 53 0 Maxfeldstraße 5
FAX: 0911-740 53 479 D-90409 Nürnberg
http://www.suse.de Germany