Re: [opensuse-factory] new package 'picard'
  • From: Sascha Peilicke <sasch.pe@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 09:54:27 +0200
On Wednesday 28 April 2010 09:34:12 Dave Plater wrote:
On 04/26/2010 07:42 PM, Sascha Peilicke wrote:
Am 26.04.2010 11:32, schrieb Michael Andres:
On Friday 23 April 2010 18:09:34 Sascha Peilicke wrote:
I'd like to submit the package 'picard' which contains MusicBrainz
Picard,
a music file tag editor. This package uses only free components (unlike
other 'picard' packages) and adds some useful plugins. My question
is which
devel project is suited best for it. It's a python-qt4 based GPLv2
app that
seems not to be packaged yet in the official repos. It can be found
in the
project 'home:saschpe' [1].

That would be great ;)

IMO it would fit into multimedia:apps.

Thought so too, I made a submit request for that.

I'm too busy to test picard atm, I use kid3 and pinkytagger, how does it
compare to them? There isn't a gui tagger in the main distro or
multimedia:apps at all only id3v2 a command line one.
This is somewhat biased but IMHO it's a lot easier to work with than
pinkytagger, I don't know how it compares to kid3. The most striking feature
is that you can update a whole lot of audio files in parallel and semi-
automatic. To test this packaging effort, I let it update tags of my complete
music folder (54GB of music). The advantage here is that user interaction
mostly is about dragging the minority of audio files it wasn't able to sort
into albums automatically onto those. Compared to what you have to do in
pinkytagger it's a big win.

One fact in favour of contrib is it's listed as a community repo in yast
and multimedia:apps isn't so it will be more visible in 11.3 in contrib.
Yep, I also filed a submit request there but people seem busy right now...
--
Sascha Peilicke
http://saschpe.wordpress.com