[opensuse-factory] What is the plan for HAL in 11.3 - HAL or What?
  • From: "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 21:10:10 -0500
Guys,

I've read several development threads about the security fundamentals
of the
present HAL implementation and I have read that HAL is being completely removed
from the picture. (i.e. HAL free Xorg 1.8, etc...). The issue seems to be some
fundamental flaw in the present implementation and the argument is whether it
requires tossing the complete HAL stack or if a low level redesign to remove the
flaw can be done while preserving most of the current way HAL works (the details
of which pass well over my head)

But that does prompt the question: "What is opensuse doing in this
regard and
is there a plan to address it?"

What's the current line of thinking for 11.3?

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC