Re: [opensuse-factory] List of features of openSUSE 11.3
  • From: Shayon Mukherjee <shayonj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2010 09:04:27 +0530
On 04/06/2010 04:22 AM, Greg Freemyer wrote:
On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 6:35 PM, Martin Schlander
<martin.schlander@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Onsdag den 31. marts 2010 17:06:15 skrev Shayon Mukherjee:

I think there are very varying opinions on what are key features.

You can see most of the new features for 11.3 in openFATE
https://features.opensuse.org/query/run?search_string=&search_products%5B%5D=openSUSE-11.3&search_status%5B%5D=done&type=find&commit=Search

Of course that list is not complete and also generally does not include all
the cool stuff from upstream development.

Iirc there was a request some time ago for someone to take on the task of
monitoring the commit list to keep track of interesting commits. But I guess
there was no takers. We'd probably need a whole gang of people to replace
Beineri.

I always make notes of new features that I think are particularly useful or
have marketing value, so far my list for 11.3 has the following, but it's
likely to be very lacking:

lxde on the dvd
ktorrent with dht
btrfs (well, was already in 11.2 apparently)
ksuseinstall
kernel mode setting stuff
nouveau
upstart

Great one !
I'm a storage guy, so assuming the new topology stuff all plays nicely
in the storage stack, I think it will be a big feature for 11.3.

ie. Automatic alignment of partitions with underlying storage topology.

It required kernel, library (util-linux), and parted changes, but
parted was the last to go in and it went in a couple days ago.

Greg

Hello ,
Thanks a lot for the list.Myself along with the marketing team will go
through this and if required will come back to you all later :-) .I feel
theres still time for the release , so by then we would definitely have
a full and concrete list , specially 'Key Features' to attract more n
more people !

--
Regards,
SJ(Shayon)