Re: [opensuse-factory] HAL/DeviceKit in 11.3?
  • From: Kay Sievers <kay.sievers@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 20:33:23 +0100
On Wed, 2010-01-13 at 18:04 +0100, Arvin Schnell wrote:
On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 05:57:45PM +0100, Andreas Jaeger wrote:
On Monday 11 January 2010 12:14:58 Will Stephenson wrote:
When are we planning to remove HAL from the distribution?
Apparently other
distributions are already working on this for their next releases,
and if
we are planning the same, I'd like to know about it well in
advance so the
implications for applications using HAL are clear.

Are there any openSUSE specific packages that use hal? For example
does YaST
or our installation depend on hal? In that case we should evaluate
moving
these packages away from hal ourselves - and I agree that for those
packages
where we're not upstream and which do not change in time for the
11.3 release,
we'll ship hal to have them working,

YaST uses hal to temporarily switch automounting off.

At least GNOME does not use HAL anymore to handle auto-mounting, so this
needs fixing anyway, I guess.

And hwinfo still uses HAL, as far as I know.

Thanks,
Kay