Re: [opensuse-factory] HAL/DeviceKit in 11.3?
  • From: Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 23:13:18 +1100
On 11/01/10 22:48, Karsten König wrote:
Am Montag, 11. Januar 2010 12:39:05 schrieb Basil Chupin:

On 11/01/10 22:14, Will Stephenson wrote:

When are we planning to remove HAL from the distribution? Apparently
other distributions are already working on this for their next releases,
and if we are planning the same, I'd like to know about it well in
advance so the implications for applications using HAL are clear.

Will

The obvious questions are:

They are not obvious,

But of course...."not obvious".

it is a technical question targeted at people who
already know the awnser to your questions.

OK, so people not "in the know" should butt out and not ask questions.
OK, fine.

Why is HAL being removed?

What is replacing it?

Check the web... a good starting point is the project page
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/hal

Oh, as an ordinary pleb and a humble user of openSUSE I just happened to
miss the need to religiously read the project page about "HAL". So sorry.

Why is openSUSE following others when it is supposed to be the
trendsetter - or so many of us think so?

As coolo pointed out openSUSE sticks to hal for the time beeing, currently
this is the opposite of any trend.

And I applaud(ed) his response!

A simplistic statement as above tells noone about anything but rather
only leads to confusion, speculation and FUD.

Well good thing you keep this list clean of FUD and confusion

Thank you. I always try to keep FUD and other confusion out of mail
lists when talking about the subject at hand.

Karsten

BC
--

Take the bull by the tail and look the facts in the face.

W C Fields