Re: [opensuse-factory] HAL/DeviceKit in 11.3?
  • From: Per Osbäck <per@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 12:47:33 +0100
måndag 11 januari 2010 12.39.05 skrev Basil Chupin:
On 11/01/10 22:14, Will Stephenson wrote:
When are we planning to remove HAL from the distribution? Apparently
other distributions are already working on this for their next releases,
and if we are planning the same, I'd like to know about it well in
advance so the implications for applications using HAL are clear.

Will

The obvious questions are:

Why is HAL being removed?

What is replacing it?

"HAL is in maintenance mode - no new features are added. All future
development focuses on Software/DeviceKit-disks, Software/DeviceKit-power,
NetworkManager, PulseAudio, udev, ... "
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/hal

Why is openSUSE following others when it is supposed to be the
trendsetter - or so many of us think so?

A simplistic statement as above tells noone about anything but rather
only leads to confusion, speculation and FUD.

BC