  • From: Egbert Eich <eich@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 08:47:29 +0100
On Tue, Dec 08, 2009 at 05:00:51PM +0100, Lubos Lunak wrote:

about the rest if they don't know xinitrc, huh? Is that far off or did I
guess right? Are now each desktop really to do the X setup during their
startup whenever X doesn't get something right?

No, it is to do the user customization. This has been the case for the
keyboard for a long time already. KDE (as you may know) has offered a
tray applet which allows to change keyboard layouts on the fly. It even
allowed to configure each keyboard layout in the list in great detail.

Too bad it has never allowed the configuration of the keyboard layout in KDM.

This is not an openSUSE problem, though.
It's more an issue of the upstream projects not watching each other.

I know that in X.Org fundamental changes often just happen without much
discussion or announcement. The nuisance of an developers IRC channel has
certainly contributed to that. Even the people working on X.Org here
are sometimes caught by surprise.

Still in this particular instance here I was strongly believing that
someone in the KDE community had taken note since the move away from
a static configuration file is not something that has happened behind
closed doors.

Even for mode setting KDE has been supplying krandrtray which may not
be as powerful as the gnome tool at the moment but does its job reasonable
well.

During the session. Not so well if X e.g. decides that a great default setup
for dualhead desktop machine is cloned mode and one has to go for xinitrc or
do the change manually

No, you do the change once (in the desktop tool, this will remember your
settings and redo them next time.) This will of course only work if the
framebuffer stride (which is static still) is large enough.

But Lubos, why are you complaining here and rant at me? It has never been
my suggestion that every desktop is reinventing the wheel and comes
along with its own incarnation of every tool.

Sorry, you're the messenger. And I'm not complaining about the suggestion
for
every desktop to roll their own, as much as I don't like that, but I'm now
complaining about those desktops not having been told in time.

Again, I'm sorry, but I thought that in the huge KDE upstream community
someone had an eye on such things.
Having a keyboard layout selector in the display manager isn't something
that's brand new: SUN had this for ages - my impression was that the
major desktops look around and 'steal' good ideas they find elsewhere.

Cheers,
Egbert.

--
Egbert Eich (Res. & Dev.) SUSE LINUX Products GmbH
X Window System Development