  • From: Robert Kaiser <KaiRo@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 07 Dec 2009 20:46:34 +0100
Jeff Mahoney wrote:
On 12/07/2009 05:39 AM, Rob OpenSuSE wrote:
Is including symbolics a performance hit, or just a disk space issue?

It's a disk space issue. The symbol tables are in a different ELF
section and don't actually get loaded at runtime. The thing is that it
is a *huge* disk space issue. The kernel packages, for example, grow to
over 1 GB in size if they include debuginfo. I do a lot of testing
without building RPMs and I have to remember to strip the debuginfo when
installing the modules or I very quickly run out of disk space on my
root filesystem.

That's the reason why the "Breakpad" tool and it's "Socorro" server side (hosted on Google code if you are interested), which we are using at Mozilla, has us upload the symbols to a central server when doing builds we ship to users/testers, and then send the crash reports to the server, where the stack traces can be re-connected with the symbols (and even linked to web-representations of source repos).

Of course, what we mostly do is just looking at agglomerated crash data - or, if users provide crash IDs in bugs, at those specific reports, all via the web interfaces on the socorro server instance, which has the symbols all resolved nicely.
See http://crash-stats.mozilla.com/ for what we have up there, it's all public :)

Robert Kaiser