  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 07 Dec 2009 17:16:40 +0100
Carlos E. R. wrote:

On Monday, 2009-12-07 at 11:41 +0100, Per Jessen wrote:

Carlos E. R. wrote:

I once read a book, that SuSE put in the /usr/share/docsomething
directory, about programming in linux. It was never finished. And it
is obsolete, linux moves too fast.

We're rapidly moving OT here, but nobody really needs a book
about "programming in linux". The process is (with a limited set of
variations) the same as on any other operating system. If you can
write code for DOS, you can also write it for linux. The tools are
different, but is a matter of reading a man page or two, plus taking
a peek at how somebody else did it. At least that is what I usually
do :-)

A man page describes a function you already knows its name. It is no
use when trying to find a function to do something you need. And it
doesn't explain the process.

If I'm looking for a library function for a particular purpose, but I
don't know if someone's already written it, I go and google that
purpose. If I had a fairly good idea, I would try 'man -k',
or 'find /usr/include -follow -type f | xargs grep -i <whatever>'. The
other day I was working on a project wrt DKIM - the only
code/implementation I had seen was perl-based, but with a bit of
research, I discovered libdkim (pretty obvious name) as part of the
sendmail package. In order use it, dkim.h is the first place to look,
then perhaps some of the test programs.

No, you don't need that kind of documentation, because you already
know. To me, it is daunting.

Which is an issue that can't be solved by documentation, because how
would you know which document or book to read when you don't know which
library you want to use.

If anyone wants to encourage new devs to come to linux, and not only
young students out of school or university, such texts must be
finished and provided.

Linux does not have a problem attracting new developers; I'm not
convinced the lack of such texts is a real problem.

I'm sure they come, but newly trained. Not many coming from outside.
IMHO.

I take it you mean 'outside' to mean "not directly from a university or
similar"? As far as I can see, the opportunities for a programmer or
engineer coming from an otherwise unrelated field and starting to write
some code for Linux are far greater than for any other platform. If
people don't take that opportunity, it's not due to lack of
documentation or information.

/Per

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (0.0°C)