  • From: Rob OpenSuSE <rob.opensuse.linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2009 15:27:30 +0000
2009/12/7 Jeff Mahoney <jeffm@xxxxxxxx>:

Is including symbolics a performance hit, or just a disk space issue?

It's a disk space issue. The symbol tables are in a different ELF
section and don't actually get loaded at runtime. The thing is that it
is a *huge* disk space issue. The kernel packages, for example, grow to
over 1 GB in size if they include debuginfo. I do a lot of testing
without building RPMs and I have to remember to strip the debuginfo when
installing the modules or I very quickly run out of disk space on my
root filesystem.

I haven't ever actually tried it, but it should be possible to translate
the backtrace on a different machine, if the matching debuginfo is
available. The down side is that you don't end up getting symbolic
information for things in the stack frame (like current variables).

Thanks!

Perhaps the guy who hacked up compressed kernel modules to save disk,
could come out with a "Thin Elf" format, where all that stuff is
decompressed on demand on the fly if it's actually needed. *joking
but...*