  • From: Jeff Mahoney <jeffm@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 07 Dec 2009 10:19:24 -0500

On 12/07/2009 05:39 AM, Rob OpenSuSE wrote:
2009/12/6 Jeff Mahoney <jeffm@xxxxxxxx>:
On 12/06/2009 06:22 PM, Rajko M. wrote:

It often requires just ability to set break point with a message, to locate
code that makes trouble. No much need to understand the code.

This is a really good point. Personally, I learned C after I was messing
around with code. In a previous life, I ran a bunch of DEC Ultrix
systems. No shared libraries, ancient X implementation, etc. I ended up
building a *lot* of things for these systems and it didn't always go
smoothly.

I had some MIPS based DECstations, I remember the "advance" getting
gcc installed and how it eased porting.

Not sure if it's always easier to read code, than write. As touched
on very many coders seem unable to see things from point of view of
other ppl, comment the obvious and leave the whacky & bizarre to speak
for itself.