  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2009 13:41:52 +0100 (CET)

On Monday, 2009-12-07 at 11:41 +0100, Per Jessen wrote:

Carlos E. R. wrote:

I once read a book, that SuSE put in the /usr/share/docsomething
directory, about programming in linux. It was never finished. And it
is obsolete, linux moves too fast.

We're rapidly moving OT here, but nobody really needs a book
about "programming in linux". The process is (with a limited set of
variations) the same as on any other operating system. If you can
write code for DOS, you can also write it for linux. The tools are
different, but is a matter of reading a man page or two, plus taking a
peek at how somebody else did it. At least that is what I usually
do :-)

A man page describes a function you already knows its name. It is no use when trying to find a function to do something you need. And it doesn't explain the process.

No, you don't need that kind of documentation, because you already know. To me, it is daunting.

(and yes, I have written some programs in Linux.
Using pascal, of course :-p )

If anyone wants to encourage new devs to come to linux, and not only
young students out of school or university, such texts must be
finished and provided.

Linux does not have a problem attracting new developers; I'm not
convinced the lack of such texts is a real problem.

I'm sure they come, but newly trained. Not many coming from outside. IMHO.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.