  • From: Karsten König <remur@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2009 09:40:56 +0100

It is coming back to think how we can use better smolt and hardware
detection tools, make information upload lesser labor intensive, from
prospectives of user, developer and/or helper in forums.

This is something that we've discussed informally for a while. I would
love to have a tool that automatically sends backtraces of every
crashing program that we ship back to a server so that we can. We've
always ended up getting hung up on the privacy concerns. If it's opt-in,
not enough people participate. If it's opt-out, we get complaints about
privacy.

-Jeff

KDE.org has something like this, the "new" Dr. Konqui makes a stacktrace etc
what might be important and asks the user how to reproduce it etc, basicly the
same as a bugzilla interface, just right after the program crashed and with
all the infos at hand (if you have the -debug packages installed that is).

Problem with bugreports like these is people often don't respond to questions,
they see the reporting as a place you dump your information once and the
developers will magically figure out what it was. Still this help reducing
many duplicates and in the process finding people willing to respond.

Karsten

Btw. I know ubuntu developed something for their distribution, they even
replaced Dr. Konqi for a while but later returned to it, maybe they documented
their outcome somewhere?