  • From: Jeff Mahoney <jeffm@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 06 Dec 2009 18:43:20 -0500

On 12/06/2009 06:22 PM, Rajko M. wrote:
On Sunday 06 December 2009 12:12:10 Egbert Eich wrote:

However for contributing small things, look
at the code to track down a bug doesn't require very good probramming
skills.

It often requires just ability to set break point with a message, to locate
code that makes trouble. No much need to understand the code.

This is a really good point. Personally, I learned C after I was messing
around with code. In a previous life, I ran a bunch of DEC Ultrix
systems. No shared libraries, ancient X implementation, etc. I ended up
building a *lot* of things for these systems and it didn't always go
smoothly.

I guess it boils down to "it's a lot easier to read code than to write
it." Most of the debugging process is the triage and fault isolation.
Once the problem has been identified, even if it's just narrowed down to
code between printfs, fixing the problem can be a lot quicker.

I'd rather take a patch for a bug that's not idea and rework it
than have to track down every single issue myself.

I guess that even approximate location of bug or activation of debug mode and
look in logs is far better then nothing at all.

A lot of my work
involves drivers. There we often encounter problems which we cannot
reproduce ourselves.

It is coming back to think how we can use better smolt and hardware detection
tools, make information upload lesser labor intensive, from prospectives of
user, developer and/or helper in forums.

This is something that we've discussed informally for a while. I would
love to have a tool that automatically sends backtraces of every
crashing program that we ship back to a server so that we can. We've
always ended up getting hung up on the privacy concerns. If it's opt-in,
not enough people participate. If it's opt-out, we get complaints about
privacy.

- -Jeff

- --
Jeff Mahoney