Re: [opensuse-factory] Kernel Mode Setting (KMS) for openSUSE.
  • From: Greg KH <gregkh@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Dec 2009 14:46:22 -0800

A per device blacklist would require modprobe to look at the alias list
in the driver, match it against the hardware on the system and then apply
the result to the blacklist.
To make it general it would have to be usable for all sorts of device IDs.
If we need it and the kernel people would accept such a feature (Jeff,
your reply is very encouraging) I would actually implement this.

Well here's where it gets tricky. modprobe can still only pass global
driver options. I suppose it would be possible to pass a
blacklist=<alias> or something to work around that, but that's not what
I had in mind. It could also be handled via writing to a sysfs file. All
drivers support an unbind option, too. This isn't really a discussion to
be had with me on this list, though. I'm not at all involved with the
DRM drivers.

I've looked into 'unbind'. There doesn't seem to be a way to
prevent a driver from being bound to devices when initially loaded.
This is what we'd need.

You just don't load the driver then :)

Yeah, we don't have a way to do this on a per-device basis, and I can't
think of a sane way to specify this, can anyone else?

thanks,

greg k-h