  • From: Egbert Eich <eich@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Dec 2009 18:59:42 +0100
On Sat, Dec 05, 2009 at 01:23:53PM +0100, Carlos E. R. wrote:

The only other alternatives I see is to either
live and arrange oneself with broken or non-existent drivers
and stop complaining.
or
switch to Windows or any other purely commercial OS.

Well, plain users can only complain >:-P

My point is that it is not completely true to assume that plain users can
take over maintenance or developing. We can't. I know I can't, even tough I
said that once I did programming for a living.

(The learning curve is too steep as to be discouraging...)

No, I don't think so. There is always an area where one can
get into. You don't have to be able to overlook all technologies
in the entire product. Nobody does - I certainly don't.

Most people who got involved in free software because they had a scratch
to itch. Something that bothered them so much that they had to do something
about it.
So either there is nothing that pesters people enough to become involved
themselves or ranting has been such a successful strategy that they
did not have to bother. I don't expect this to be true forever.

Carlos, this is not against you, and I certainly don't expect everybody
who uses free software to also contribute. But the notion 'it is too
difficult anyway' is something that keep people from even trying.

Cheers,
Egbert.

--
Egbert Eich (Res. & Dev.) SUSE LINUX Products GmbH
X Window System Development