Re: [opensuse-factory] Be involved with your openSUSE [was:The Future of SaX2]
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Dec 2009 13:11:00 +0100 (CET)

On Saturday, 2009-12-05 at 11:56 -0600, Rajko M. wrote:

On Saturday 05 December 2009 09:46:58 Carlos E. R. wrote:

Yes, of course; but old versions have old holes. Ie, security bugs. Plus,
you may need some new features or something that has been solved recently.

Any user of old version of SUSE, like 7.3 is better off with it then with any
contemporary win based system with similar hardware requirements.

There was no updates for a long time, but the same is truth for any win before
XP. On the other hand there are distros that have current software, 2.4 series
kernel and very small hardware footprint.

Even puppy can't be installed on that machine: it requires I think it was 200 MiB of ram, and it has only 32MiB. It is, I think, because it uses a full live cd as install system, instead of a dedicated, small, installer system as SuSE did (and does, but bigger now).

openSUSE can't be all in one with current number of developers and
maintainers. Programming can be high hanging fruit for majority of us, but
there are other areas where developers are involved now, while users with a
bit of interest can do the same tasks, giving developers more time to code.

I do my part. I translate to Spanish. I help others (in ML). I can't dev. Not even package (for others).

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.