  • From: Larry Stotler <larrystotler@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Dec 2009 17:53:08 -0500
On Sat, Dec 5, 2009 at 3:21 PM, Rob OpenSuSE
<rob.opensuse.linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Pentium II can work properly!  I have a dual Celeron system, Nvidia
made graphics card legacy, should I whine about sax2 3D option not
working any more like it did with 8.2?

I have an Abit BP-6 dual 370 board. Is that what you have? Mine was
never stable overclocked tho.

As for SaX2, it works fine with the ATI Mobility M3 when I installed
11.2 on my Thinkpad. I haven't tried 11.2 on my Thinkpad 390X, which
has a Neomagic 2.5MB chipset. That would be a good test. It plays
hi-res DVD-quality XviDs just fine so you figure it should run a
desktop ok.

I have OS-11.1 running on laptop with 240MiB effective RAM, KDE 4.3.3
*does* run  on it, but it's not a sane thing to do.  Once you need a
browser, far too much patience is required, even having swap partiton
on flash.
In principal you are saying that old hardware can be dropped at some
point, you just want the newest release to work perfectly with your
old hardware, including X Desktop.

I never said I didn't expect old hardware to be dropped. I couldn't
imagine running 11.2 on a Cirrus Logic 65550 chipset.

That's not going to be realistic if there's big changes, where do the
developers put the time in, getting 90% of machines running really
well, or getting 95% of machines barely running acceptably because
they spent so much time on trying to support 5% of hardware base?

Well, ATI chipsets are found in a huge amount of servers(the RageXL).

Why won't an older version of X, and desktop, re-compiled be a
possible solution if you're inconvenienced by sax2 being withdrawn,
and new graphics developments don't support your system well?

Then why bother running a distro? Generaly you run a distro to get
regular updates. If I wanted a super cutdown distro I could run Arch.
Tho it doesn't have the useful YaST or SaX2.