  • From: Rob OpenSuSE <rob.opensuse.linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Dec 2009 20:21:23 +0000
2009/12/5 Larry Stotler <larrystotler@xxxxxxxxx>:
On Sat, Dec 5, 2009 at 12:24 PM, Rob OpenSuSE
<rob.opensuse.linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
If I took out a pentium MMX based 8MiB RAM machine, do you think
openSUSE 11.2 should just work on it?  If not why is your old hardware
worthy and mine not?

Of course not.  8MB was a super bare minimum even 10 years ago.
However, I Pentium II/II with 512MB RAM should work properly.  Even
some of those machines can't support 512MB.  I have a Thinkpad X21
P3/700 that maxes are 384.

Pentium II can work properly! I have a dual Celeron system, Nvidia
made graphics card legacy, should I whine about sax2 3D option not
working any more like it did with 8.2?

I have OS-11.1 running on laptop with 240MiB effective RAM, KDE 4.3.3
*does* run on it, but it's not a sane thing to do. Once you need a
browser, far too much patience is required, even having swap partiton
on flash.

In principal you are saying that old hardware can be dropped at some
point, you just want the newest release to work perfectly with your
old hardware, including X Desktop.

That's not going to be realistic if there's big changes, where do the
developers put the time in, getting 90% of machines running really
well, or getting 95% of machines barely running acceptably because
they spent so much time on trying to support 5% of hardware base?

Why won't an older version of X, and desktop, re-compiled be a
possible solution if you're inconvenienced by sax2 being withdrawn,
and new graphics developments don't support your system well?