Re: [opensuse-factory] Kernel Mode Setting (KMS) for openSUSE.
  • From: Egbert Eich <eich@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2009 20:56:23 +0100
On Thu, Dec 03, 2009 at 07:42:27PM +0100, Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek wrote:
Hi,

What about case of using closed NVIDIA drivers? Framebuffer can't set
1920×1080 with my card, it supports only 4:3 resolutions.

The closed source NVIDIA driver will not support KMS in the forseeable
future.

I saw Nouveau on Fedora setting this HD resolution easily and using it in
Plymouth and then X.Org.

How is it possible?

What is the mode Plymouth is using? It's not the same text mode as plain
Linux used to use. Or am I 2008 with it?

I don't understand how Nouveau, a X.Org display driver with kernel module
can set desired widescreen res, while framebuffer with vesafb sets only 4:3
oO .

VESA uses a hard coded set of modes. Your's may not be among them.
I think only VBE 3.0 supports programmable modes (need to recheck to be sure)
but VBE 3.0 support is often broken anyway as it is not used by any (commercial)
OS vendor.

Cheers,
Egbert.

--
Egbert Eich (Res. & Dev.) SUSE LINUX Products GmbH
X Window System Development