  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2009 09:01:14 +0100
Greg R. wrote:

On Thu, 3 Dec 2009, Sid Boyce wrote:

I had such an issue when I changed from an old and ailing Sun 22"
monitor to a 22" flat wide screen, removing xorg.conf sorted it. I
for one am glad to see such new stuff taking away some of the old
irksome issues - if anyone else remembers back in the day when you
needed a ruler, the manual and a calculator to get XFree86.conf right
and also to not mention Linux if your monitor genuinely failed and
you had to ask your supplier to replace it.

I remember those days, and I do not miss them. I am glad that xorg has
gotten to the point where auto-config works. It saves a lot of hacking
about. That said, I believe SaX2 continues to be useful, especially in
supporting the kinds of really old hardware openSUSE gets run on. SaX2
dates from when that hardware was new, so it's still a good fit for
configuring them. That said, once that hardware starts dying in
sufficient numbers its utility will greatly diminish.

My first thought was also "What? you can't do that!", but I soon
realized that it (retiring sax2 in favour of xrandr) makes a lot of
sense. In my business, we also keep quite a bit of older hardware
about, generally servers with no X; only PCs have a GUI.
PCs basically have a limited life anyway, especially in the last 3-4-5
years with harddisk interfaces and peripheral busses changing every
other week :-(, so in this instance, I don't see a real issue in
possibly leaving some of the old hardware behind.

/Per

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (0.0°C)