  • From: "Greg R." <corwin@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2009 23:48:35 -0600 (CST)
On Thu, 3 Dec 2009, Sid Boyce wrote:

I had such an issue when I changed from an old and ailing Sun 22"
monitor to a 22" flat wide screen, removing xorg.conf sorted it. I for
one am glad to see such new stuff taking away some of the old irksome
issues - if anyone else remembers back in the day when you needed a
ruler, the manual and a calculator to get XFree86.conf right and also to
not mention Linux if your monitor genuinely failed and you had to ask
your supplier to replace it.

I remember those days, and I do not miss them. I am glad that xorg has gotten to the point where auto-config works. It saves a lot of hacking about. That said, I believe SaX2 continues to be useful, especially in supporting the kinds of really old hardware openSUSE gets run on. SaX2 dates from when that hardware was new, so it's still a good fit for configuring them. That said, once that hardware starts dying in sufficient numbers its utility will greatly diminish.

Stacatto signals of constant information
A loose affiliation of millionares, and billionares, baby
These are the days of miracle and wonder
-- Boy in the Bubble, Paul Simon