Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: [opensuse-ppc] No More Official PPC Distro
  • From: Stephan Kulow <coolo@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2009 16:22:31 +0100
Am Mittwoch 25 November 2009 schrieb Stephen Michael Kellat:
Sitting at a 7400 G4 as I type this, I can say that there remains some
interest. The biggest area would be in revitalizing old machines that
were otherwise disposed of as excess. Schools trying to wring a small
amount of worth out of older machines would also benefit.

Today's world is one where the x86 architecture is not absolutely
dominant. We're already seeing in the smartphone market the near
dominance of ARM architecture in devices. As those devices are becoming
essentially small portable computers first with telephone capability a
welded-on after-thought, the potential install base is becoming broader.
Strangely enough, Android is capable of running on any Power
Architecture architecture based handsets although I am not aware of any
out there right now.

Will there be a "mass market" in a few years with a single architecture
dominating? I don't know. Right now, the signs for the future are
uncertain. Keeping a PPC legacy intact at least provides good practice
for any potential world where no single architecture dominates.

Hi Stephen,

Good luck. As long as we have the machines we keep factory building against
ppc and provide it as is. If you want to keep the ppc intact, you can do
submit requests with your fixes. If you need help, opensuse-ppc@ should
be your contact point.

Greetings, Stephan