Re: [opensuse-factory] Leafnode dropped ?!
  • From: Dave Plater <davejplater@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 11:44:12 +0200
On 11/24/2009 01:51 PM, houghi wrote:
On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 12:04:48PM +0100, Stefan Seyfried wrote:

2009/11/24 Cristian Rodríguez <crrodriguez@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:

On 24/11/09 06:52, Stefan Seyfried wrote:

So why not stop complaining and start fixing? ;-)

Likely because complaining is easier than fixing ;-)

Actually, especially in the leafnode case, the energy spent complaining
here would be enough to maintain the package for at least 3 years ;)

You have apparently no idea how bad I am at doing things like that. ;-)

And it is NOT about leafnode that I complain. It is about the whole
process. You could even think about not only dropped packages, but
packages that were never included.

The issue is that packages are dropped apparently because there are not
enough developers or maintainers. Now how much I would love to be one, I
must also understand my limitations.

So we should be going to the bottom and look as to why there are not
enough and what we can do to change that. Do other distributions have the
same issues and how do they solve it?

Almost each and every package is available under Debian. How do they do
that and what can we learn from that, so we can implement that or even do
it better.

If the answer is more package maintainers, the perhaps we must see how we
can do that. What are the problems people face who are trying to become
one. Perhaps the learning cruve is to big. Perhaps people are afraid of
the resposability for one package. Perhaps there are other things.

houghi

I must chirp in on this thread. I'm primarily a hardware and embeded
assembler person, I have a limited knowledge of linux c and c++ but I
noticed a while back, on this list, that the blender package wasn't
being maintained properly and ended up maintaining blender and am
reading this list while waiting for the latest version to build
properly. I also noticed that rosegarden needed a maintainer and took
that overas well. Rosegarden uses lilypond and I've taken that package over.
I have really learned a lot from research on the net, asking on the
opensuse packaging, build-service and programming lists and the devel
lists for the packages I maintain, including handling the bugs.
Basically if I can do it there must be a lot of people out there in the
community that can do it as well and help to turn openSUSE into a really
good distro. It's not half as hard to maintain a package as you think
and if anyone would like to be pointed in the right direction to where
the knowledge is, I will be happy to help.
Regards
Dave P