[opensuse-factory] Yast2 and printers
  • From: Donn Washburn <n5xwb@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2009 20:58:28 -0600
Hey Group;

I have come up with a Brother MFC-7840W (USB) which according to
"www.linuxprinting.org" should work perfectly if I use their 2 files.rpm
and cups. I downloaded from Brother the 2 files and openSuSE version of
cups. I called up Yast2 >Hardware>Printers and there was Brother
MFC7840W. I set Letter, Default and a Driver. Yast2 agreed with all of
my selections. I saved it. I then tried "lp hosts" and cups gave it a
job # and "lsusb", "hwinfo -printer" showed a "modprobe usblp",
"depmode | grep usblp" was found "lpq" shows the printer is ready. I
restarted "/etc/init.d/cups" and rebooted - just for grins - neither
helped. Fina;lly I even confitmed all 3 device were there.

Anyone see a problem or think of something else to check

--
73 de Donn Washburn
307 Savoy Street Email:" n5xwb@xxxxxxxxxxx "