Re: [opensuse-factory] rsyslog
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 20:10:40 +0100

On 11/16/2009 11:32 AM, Stephan Kulow wrote:
Am Montag 16 November 2009 schrieb Per Jessen:
Carlos E. R. wrote:

Hi,

I just noticed that 11.2 uses rsyslog instead of syslog-ng that was
used previously. What is the advantage?

I wouldn't mind knowing the reasons for this change - it doesn't seem to
be something that was discussed a lot, yet it is quite significant.

You're free to stay with syslog-ng, but for new users rsyslog is the better
choice:
- debian and fedora use rsyslog too, users coming from there will know the
config format
- rsyslog doesn't require wild hacks to improve boot time - it just works

Most of the other reasons are already listed in the thread.

Thanks.

If you people think it is better, that's ok with me, I'll trust you. I just
wanted to learn of the
reasons for the change.

You could think of posting reasons for packages changes somewhere, with tips
and links to
documentation for us ;-)

- --
Cheers / Saludos,