Re: [opensuse-factory] rsyslog
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 01:44:27 +0100

On 11/15/2009 07:51 PM, Per Jessen wrote:
Carlos E. R. wrote:

I think(!) rsyslog might perform better in a high-load environment.

Maybe. For a home setup like mine that is not needed.

Agree. I was surprised to see rsyslog being the default - I guess you
could still install syslog-ng instead?

Yes, it is provided, if I'm not mistaken. I can't do a quick check, webpin
still does not work.

For now, my next step is to be able to log external sources (my
router).

Should be easy, except if you have a Zyxel router.

Not the case :-)

I had it working with syslog-ng, I just have to learn how to do it here.

Then I have to learn how to fire an external script triggered
on a certain message, and then add a line to a log on the output of
that script.

With syslog-ng(!), you can do that roughly like this:

I know, I did it, it works.

create a destination with pipe(), add appropriate filter. Then start
e.g. a shell-script that reads from the pipe.

This is a nightmare with syslog-ng, because apparmour
strongly dislikes it, so much that I had to disable AA for syslog-ng.

Uh, I've done that more than a few times, apparmor never got in the way
AFAIR.

It does here. AA does not allow syslog-ng to start any other process, even less
a shell script. I
had to dissable it. Perhaps writing to a named pipe instead would work :-?

But never mind, my problem now is to replicate the setup with rsyslog.

- --
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.2-ex-factory "Emerald" GM)