Re: [opensuse-factory] rsyslog
  • From: Rob OpenSuSE <rob.opensuse.linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 00:36:12 +0000
2009/11/15 Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:

I just noticed that 11.2 uses rsyslog instead of syslog-ng that was
used previously. What is the advantage? The syntax is rather weird.

That's a coincidence - I have just recently been reading up on rsyslog,
but I hadn't noticed that it was already in 11.2.

Comparison of rsyslog / syslog-ng:

There are no doubt others, but those are the ones that I'm interested
in.

I'm kind of relieved to hear about rsyslog. About 20 months ago, on
the "Upstart" mailing list, which is this "event driven" replacement
for init(8) which has been used in Ubuntu for a while, lead as own
project by Scott J Remnant one of the Ubuntu guys.

The syslog-ng Guy pops up looking for a cooperation, and explained
this really complicated OTT plug-in architecture he was working on,
basically letting you do 'burning requirements' like pretty-print the
logs and so forth in RT.

Anyway a lot of folk watching the Upstart developments are involved in
embedded so these ideas to do something like going from perl4 to
perl5, with module loading architecture and such forth didn't go down
to well.

The whole things smelt like a project, being done for the sake of it,
and to do non-boring 'cool' programming, rather than be focussed on
what infrastructure software needs to be.

Often minimal is good a la Postfix, with things broken down into
contained pieces, not a monolithic dynamically configurable
'environment'.

Rob