Re: [opensuse-factory] rsyslog
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2009 19:51:53 +0100
Carlos E. R. wrote:

Comparison of rsyslog / syslog-ng:
http://www.rsyslog.com/doc-rsyslog_ng_comparison.html

I'm worried about this one:

Config File

config file format compatible to legacy syslogd but ugly clean but
not backwards compatible

because it makes for a hard transition, I don't undertand the syntax;
although the ability to include files is interesting. I'll have to
read the doc, find examples...

Yeah. rsyslog is not a drop-in replacement.

I think(!) rsyslog might perform better in a high-load environment.

Maybe. For a home setup like mine that is not needed.

Agree. I was surprised to see rsyslog being the default - I guess you
could still install syslog-ng instead?

For now, my next step is to be able to log external sources (my
router).

Should be easy, except if you have a Zyxel router.

Then I have to learn how to fire an external script triggered
on a certain message, and then add a line to a log on the output of
that script.

With syslog-ng(!), you can do that roughly like this:

create a destination with pipe(), add appropriate filter. Then start
e.g. a shell-script that reads from the pipe.

This is a nightmare with syslog-ng, because apparmour
strongly dislikes it, so much that I had to disable AA for syslog-ng.

Uh, I've done that more than a few times, apparmor never got in the way
AFAIR.

/Per

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (8.9°C)