Re: [opensuse-factory] rsyslog
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2009 13:26:42 +0100

On 11/15/2009 10:46 AM, Per Jessen wrote:
Carlos E. R. wrote:

Hi,

I just noticed that 11.2 uses rsyslog instead of syslog-ng that was
used previously. What is the advantage? The syntax is rather weird.

That's a coincidence - I have just recently been reading up on rsyslog,
but I hadn't noticed that it was already in 11.2.

Comparison of rsyslog / syslog-ng:

http://www.rsyslog.com/doc-rsyslog_ng_comparison.html

I'm worried about this one:

Config File

config file format compatible to legacy syslogd but ugly clean but not
backwards compatible

because it makes for a hard transition, I don't undertand the syntax; although
the ability to
include files is interesting. I'll have to read the doc, find examples...

From my point of view, the advantages are (roughly):

- it's multithreaded
- support for include files in the config
- guaranteed delivery in a central logging setup.

There are no doubt others, but those are the ones that I'm interested
in.
I think(!) rsyslog might perform better in a high-load environment.

Maybe. For a home setup like mine that is not needed.

For now, my next step is to be able to log external sources (my router). Then I
have to learn how to
fire an external script triggered on a certain message, and then add a line to
a log on the output
of that script. This is a nightmare with syslog-ng, because apparmour strongly
dislikes it, so much
that I had to disable AA for syslog-ng.

- --
Cheers / Saludos,