Re: [opensuse-factory] rsyslog
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2009 10:46:56 +0100
Carlos E. R. wrote:

Hi,

I just noticed that 11.2 uses rsyslog instead of syslog-ng that was
used previously. What is the advantage? The syntax is rather weird.

That's a coincidence - I have just recently been reading up on rsyslog,
but I hadn't noticed that it was already in 11.2.

Comparison of rsyslog / syslog-ng:

http://www.rsyslog.com/doc-rsyslog_ng_comparison.html

From my point of view, the advantages are (roughly):

- it's multithreaded
- support for include files in the config
- guaranteed delivery in a central logging setup.

There are no doubt others, but those are the ones that I'm interested
in.
I think(!) rsyslog might perform better in a high-load environment.

/Per

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (8.9°C)