Re: Fwd: Re: [opensuse-factory] Kernel clarification
  • From: Rob OpenSuSE <rob.opensuse.linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 12:55:56 +0000
2009/11/13 Michal Marek <mmarek@xxxxxxx>:
Rob OpenSuSE napsal(a):
2009/11/13 Michal Marek <mmarek@xxxxxxx>:
Jeff Mahoney napsal(a):
On 11/12/2009 04:09 AM, Michal Marek wrote:
Dne 11.11.2009 23:19, Jeff Mahoney napsal(a):
On 11/11/2009 04:32 PM, Michal Marek wrote:
Jeff Mahoney napsal(a):
Is there a way to mark the 32-bit kernel incompatible with x86_64?
That would kill
off that class of bugs we see occasionally where a 32-bit kernel is
accidentally
installed on a 64-bit system.
Sorry, I should've clarified. I essentially want to mark it Taboo so
that it doesn't show up in zypper search.
Ah, I see. I'm not aware of a way to do this, sorry.

Could a dummy dependancy be used in 11.3, the kernel in x86_64 might
rely on a package that's only distributed in x86_64.   Or would 32 bit
 risk installing x86_64 arch packages to?

This is already solved, the 32bit kernels conflict with 64bit glibc, so
you won't be able to install them. However, zypper search doesn't do any
dependency calculation, so a search for kernel will also display the
32bit kernel-pae.

Yes, but if the x86_64 kernel requires a package, like the 64 bit
glibc; and the 64 bit glibc requires something only the x86_64 kernels
provide, then won't they become uninstallable for 32 bit versions?

It's Jeff's problem with "kill off that class of bugs we see
occasionally where a 32-bit kernel is accidentally installed on a
64-bit system".

BTW

Does anyone know what the zypp defaults are for mullti-version?

There may be an error (or simply the comments should be updated),
which makes it harder to have fall back kernel, for kernel-desktop.
It looked like perhaps only kernel-default & kernel-smp are permitted
by default to have multiple versions.

*** zypp.conf 2009/11/13 00:27:41 1.1
--- zypp.conf 2009/11/13 00:31:27
*** 314,319 ****
--- 314,320 ----
## diffent versions
##
# multiversion = kernel-default,kernel-smp
+ multiversion =
kernel-default,kernel-debug,kernel-desktop,kernel-pae,kernel-rt,kernel-zen

##
## Path to locks file. If not exist then is create.