Re: Fwd: Re: [opensuse-factory] Kernel clarification
  • From: Larry Stotler <larrystotler@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 16:49:04 -0500
On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 3:50 PM, Dean Hilkewich
<deans.mail.list@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Because it is a compatible architecture type to the processor.  zypp won't
list just the native architecture.  What if for example, such as flash,
where there is only one package for that is only a 32-bit build for or if
you want for example to run a 32-bit version of a package?  If you did try
to change from the 64-bit kernel to a 32-bit I do believe that it will warn
you that it is not compatible with the current install.

Seeing as how this is 11.0, I can't comment on 11.2 because I only
have it installed on a 32bit proc ATM. However, if it is listing
compatible kernels, then why did it also list the ppc64 and ps3
kernels(which would also be 64bit but totally incompatible with x64)?
That doesn't make sense either. Now, Software Management didn't show
those 2 but did show the pae kernel.

Weird