Re: Fwd: Re: [opensuse-factory] Kernel clarification
  • From: Larry Stotler <larrystotler@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 15:45:01 -0500
On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 3:29 PM, Jeff Mahoney <jeffm@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
There isn't a kernel-pae for x86_64.

From 11.0/x64

zypper se kernel
Reading installed packages...

S | Name | Summary | Type
--+-----------------------+-----------------------------------------+-----------
i | devel_kernel | Linux Kernel Development | pattern
| devel_kernel-32bit | devel_kernel-32bit | pattern
i | kernel | Linux Kernel update | patch
| kernel-coverage | kernel coverage imageing, galaxy poster | package
| kernel-debug | A Debug Version of the Kernel | package
i | kernel-default | The Standard Kernel for both Uniproce-> | package
| kernel-docs | Kernel Documentation | package
| kernel-kdump | kernel for kdump | srcpackage
| kernel-pae | Kernel with PAE Support | package
| kernel-ppc64 | Kernel for ppc64 Systems | srcpackage
| kernel-ps3 | kernel for ps3 bootloader | srcpackage
| kernel-rt | The Realtime Linux Kernel | package
| kernel-rt_debug | A Debug Version of the Kernel | package
i | kernel-source | The Linux Kernel Sources | package
| kernel-syms | Kernel Symbol Versions (modversions) | package
| kernel-vanilla | The Standard Kernel - without any SUS-> | package
i | kernel-xen | The Xen Kernel | package
| kerneloops | Tool to collect kernel oopses and sub-> | package
| kerneloops | fix for kerneloops init script | patch
| kerneloops-applet | Tool to collect kernel oopses and sub-> | package
i | linux-kernel-headers | Linux Kernel Headers | package
| linux-kernel-nutshell | Linux Kernel In A Nutshell Book | package
| lirc-kernel | LIRC kernel modules | srcpackage
i | nfs-kernel-server | Support Utilities for Kernel nfsd | package

So, my question is why is it listed? In YaST/Software Management,
it's the only 32bit kernel listed. The other kernels like ppc64, ps3
aren't listed in Software Management.