Re: [opensuse-factory] Feature #308284: Ship openSUSE 11.2
  • From: Clayton <smaug42@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2009 15:24:26 +0100
I agree with you that it is regression and annoying. Problem is that it is
found too late in release process and boot is quite sensitive and complex to
do it properly (you can look at it in yast svn how we propose sections-
http://svn.opensuse.org/svn/yast/trunk/bootloader/src/modules/BootGRUB.ycp
function CreateSections). So if we wait until this bug is fixed and also
properly tested (just imagine possible combination of supported boot scenarios
on different raids and partitions) it takes really serious time which delay
11.2 for more then month or two. Of course another problem described by Jozef
in bug is that other distributions change and we don't have enough time to
test it ( our priority is at first boot opensuse, then successful boot after
update and then cooperate with other operation systems ). Our resources is
limited, but I promise that if you send patch which fix problem I review it
and send comments (or add it immediately if it is good enough).

Unfortunately I am not skilled with Grub at all. Producing a patch
that woudl have any chance of actually working and not breaking things
further is.. well.. not something I can do :-(

I understand the scope of the problem.. and it's a big one... to make
a fundamental change late in the dev process. It reminds me of other
releases that were put out with late changes... the intro of the
whole beginning of zypper comes to mind as a prime example of how
wrong that can go. We (as openSUSE) really took a beating on that
one.. and still hold some bad vibes for it with many people. Sadly, I
have a feeling something similar will happen when testers, media etc
pop in 11.2 to "try it out" and they run into this bug.

For me, I'm OK with making my point, raising my voice and pointing at
the problem. If the decision is made to go ahead with the release
anyway... so be it, but we need to have the buckets ready to handle
the flaming. :-(

C.