[opensuse-factory] After update to RC2 - X11: Keyboard and Mouse deactivated
  • From: Ralf Krüdewagen <ralf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2009 09:07:32 +0100
Hi and Moin,

after upgrading my HP nc6400 notebook with intel graphics driver from
openSUSE 11.1 to openSUSE 11.2 RC2 I had the problem, that keyboard and
mouse were deactivated after starting KDM or GDM. So, I couldn't login to
KDE.

The following error appeared in /var/log/Xorg.0.log:
(WW) AllowEmptyInput is on, devices using drivers 'kbd', 'mouse' or
'vmmouse' will be disabled.
(WW) Disabling Keyboard[0]
(WW) Disabling Mouse[1]

This happened with the following settings in xorg.conf (working in openSUSE
11.1):

Section "InputDevice"
Driver "kbd"
Section "InputDevice"
Driver "mouse"

Even after removing xorg.conf keyboard and mouse were deactivated. And the
same after starting sax2.

After googling for a solution I found this thread:
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xorg/2009-April/045418.html

It seems to be a problem with HAL. So, I configured the evdev driver in
xorg.conf:

Section "InputDevice"
Driver "evdev"
Section "InputDevice"
Driver "evdev"

and installed the HAL policy file
/etc/hal/fdi/policy/20thirdparty/x11-input.fdi from
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xorg/2009-April/045418.html. After
restarting HAL, keyboard and mouse were working in X11.

However, to double-check the problem I removed both changes (HAL file and
driver back to kbd and mouse). After restarting the system (init 0) I had no
more problems with keyboard and mouse, even though the config was the same
than before when I had the problems. And the "AllowEmptyInput is on" warning
is still existing. Very strange.

Cheers
Ralf